Highlights of the flight
- Moon Landscape
- Ugab River
- Ugab Mouth
- Winston Shipwreck
- Cape Cross
- Henties Bay
- Swakopmund Salt Works
Duration of the Flight
± 2 Hours and 15 Minutes
- 5-Seater Aircraft
- 7-Seater Aircraft
- 10-Seater Aircraft
Pick-up & Drop-off
All clients residing in Swakopmund are collected from their accommodation and transported back there upon their return.
Description of the Flight
Departing from Swakopmund, this flight progresses up the Swakop River to an area of exceptional and ancient erosion known as the “Moon Landscape”.
From this spectacular feature, we fly towards the Rossing Uranium Mine which is the largest open coastal mine in the world. The flight approaches the rugged and beautiful Spitzkoppe that tower more than 700 metres from the surrounding flat desert.
Flying northwards, we pass the majestic Brandberg, the highest mountain in Namibia, and famous for the rock painting known as the “White Lady”.
We reach the Ugab riverbed and fly along it in search of the desert elephants, ostrich, Oryx and other game, up to the river mouth area and appreciate the exposed geology, including the stunning Ugab folds, along the way.
Upon reaching the coast, we progress southwards over the Skeleton Coast. The park in the northern Namib Desert stretches from the Ugab River in the south, to the Kunene River, which forms the northern border with Angola.
The Skeleton Coast is littered with whalebones, shipwrecks and remains of sailors and explorers of yore. We reach Cape Cross, home to some of the largest Cape Fur Seal colonies in Africa, and home to an estimated 250 000 seals. In 1486, on his second expedition to Africa, the Portuguese mariner Diego Cao erected a stone cross here.
Proceeding southwards we pass Henties Bay, a popular fishing destination, and then fly over the most recent wreck, Zeila, grounded in 2008. We cross the settlement of Wlotzkasbaken, famous for its colonies of lichens, and finally the salt works before returning to Swakopmund.
- Water only – no other refreshments are served and keep in mind that the aircraft is not fitted with a human waste disposal system.
- Transportation to and from the airport for all clients staying in Swakopmund.
- Refreshments (other than water).
- Transportation to and from main accommodation for clients NOT staying in Swakopmund.
- Clients staying in towns and surrounding areas other than Swakopmund will need to make special arrangements with management in advance. Additional transportation charges will be for the client’s account.
The following cancellation policy will apply in case of cancellations:
- 30 – 15 Days prior to flight date: 25% cancellation fee
- 14 – 2 Days prior to flight date: 50% cancellation fee
- 1 Day prior to flight date: 100% cancellation fee
- No Show: 100% cancellation fee
The following special arrangements may apply if and when necessary:
- Exchanges can be done between clients, assuming the weight of the exchanging individual does not vary by more than 30% from the originally booked individual.
- In cases where a flight cancellation takes place, due to unfavourable or unsafe flying conditions as a result of poor weather conditions, refunds or rescheduling of the flight may apply, depending on the situation.